Pancakes Are A Girl’s Best Friend

A year or so ago, Maya gave me the recipe she was using for pancakes at the time. I had never made pancakes from scratch before, and even my Bisquik attempts had failed. Nevertheless, I gave them a try and they turned out great. For quite some time I made double batches once or twice a month and kept all of the extras stored in the freezer. That way I could grab a couple whenever I was short on time. A couple of minutes in the microwave and I was in business again!

But after a while, I got lazy. Dirtying up all of the dishes and standing around making pancakes seemed like too much effort. I mean, even a single batch of 8 pancakes could take forever, as I only have a 3/4 sized stove in my studio and thus can only cook in small frying pans, lest the food cooks unevenly.

On Tuesday, I decided it was time to get off my butt and get over this bout of extreme laziness. On Tuesday, I made pancakes. Whole Wheat Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes.

Like those measuring cups? Valentines Day 2010. I’m a lucky woman– Heart Shaped Measuring cups and PEZ dispensers!

Yeah, ignore the dirty dishes, sink, counter, stove top…really…I’ve been L-A-Z-Y lately…

See? I’m serious. Two pancakes at a time. I usually make double batches of pancakes, so it takes at least an hour.

I ran out of blueberries about 1.5 batches in. I had a can of pumpkin sitting around…and exactly a 1/2 cup of flour left, so I made a half batch of pumpkin pancakes. I had never made pumpkin pancakes before, but I’ve played around with this recipe several times with great success, so I just added 1/2 cup of pumpkin, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg to the batter.

Tasty pancake-y goodness!

I wrap the pancakes up in twos. I take two pancakes, wrap them up in wax paper, making sure that a layer of wax paper is separating the two cakes–this allows me to only eat one if I want. (Without the wax paper, the cakes get stuck together.) Then I wrap them in plastic wrap. Lastly, I put all of the two-packs into a freezer bag. They keep for quite a long time and it’s easy to grab a pack, toss them into my purse and heat them up at work and have them at my desk…yum!

In the moment, I decided on one blueberry pancake and one pumpkin pancake with a little syrup. There was only one egg left, so I decided to cook it up over easy. Deliciousness.

Maya’s Recipe for Whole Wheat Honey Flax Pancakes:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup nonfat milk
1 tbsp honey
1 egg

Directions:

Mix flour, flax, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Pour milk and honey into a measuring cup. Whisk in egg. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just mixed.
Heat non-stick pan over medium heat. Add batter 1/4 cup at a time, making sure not to over crowd. Cook until golden brown or bubbles appear and edges dry out slightly, flip, and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.

Number of Servings: 8

As I say, I change up the recipe all of the time. I’ve made chocolate hazelnut pancakes, banana pancakes, strawberry pancakes and other flavors too. Sometimes I use a whole egg, other times, egg whites. Sometimes low fat buttermilk, other times whatever milk is in my fridge. It’s a good recipe to use when you’re wanting to mix things up.

I think Maya has had several improved pancake recipes since she passed this one to me. Maybe one day you’ll all get lucky and she’ll do an official pancake post.

I think my pancake obsession is back!

Are you a pancake or a waffle person?

This entry was posted in cooking, food and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Pancakes Are A Girl’s Best Friend

1. scriptorobscura says:

I love pancakes! By the way, you might like this song, its very relevant here 🙂

Ahh trusty Whole Wheat Honey Flax pancakes.. the good times we’ve had together. I may have abandoned in my quest to create newer, sexier, and more nutritionally dense pancakes, but still I look back on our time together with great fondness. 😀

As you say, I tend to go through phases of experimentation in an attempt to perfect my pancake recipes and have tried out a lot of different things since moving away from these. For the last year or so I’ve settled on a nice higher protein Spelt/Whole Wheat recipe (beefed up with cottage cheese and two eggs) that I really love.. but lately I’ve been thinking of heading back in the grain-free direction and playing around again. I never did achieve the perfect level of fluffiness with almond flour pancakes, after all.. >_>

Perhaps I will try a pancake post at some point.. if my schedule ever calms down again. No time to even look blog-wards the last two weeks. =/

3. mysocal says:

I love pancakes…sometimes you will even catch me at IHOP ordering them. Don’t tell anyone.

4. I’m usually a waffle girl but for whatever reason, I’ve been craving pancakes for the last couple of months. I can’t satisfy my craving though because what I want is a pancake that’s a bit crispy… where the heck have I had one before I don’t know, nor where I can get one now. Dream the impossible dream… a crispy pancake.

I’ve had a pancake that is a little crispy before….homemade…well…from mix, I think. I’m thinking you could use just about any recipe, but cut back on the baking powder to avoid fluffiness?

I do love a good waffle though….

5. elaine! says:

Oooh those look GOOD! And with whole wheat/flax to boot. I will definitely have to try them.

I think I’d be a waffle person, if I had a waffle iron. They’re just so much fun, you know? I haven’t made pancakes in forever. I like your freezing idea, though. I’ve been making whole wheat muffins for breakfast, but a big batch of pancakes would be a really nice change.

I’ve never made a waffle…probably due to the fact that I don’t have a waffle iron. I do love me a good Eggo once in awhile though….

I’d definitely recommend giving the whole pancake freezing thing a try. Or, if you know you’re going to be eating them for a couple of days in a row, you can even just put them in tupperware in the fridge. Sometimes I do that also. Pancakes rule!