First CSA of the Year

Back in December when I e-mailed Greenhearts Family Farm to change which week I was receiving my CSA box that month, I was greeted with some very unpleasant news: There was going to be a month-long break between the end of December and the end of January.

That’s right, NO fruits and veggies delivered to my home or office for four weeks.

Not cool.

I promised myself I’d go to the Farmer’s Market to pick up supplies, but for the most part, I didn’t. Life is always hectic around the holidays and the beginning of the year, so when you couple that with two back to back head colds, there just isn’t a lot of desire to trek out in search of produce.

I really learned how much I’ve started to rely on these CSA deliveries since I began participating a few months ago. I essentially plan my entire meal plan around whatever is delivered. It inspires me and pushes me to grow in the kitchen, try foods that I’ve never been exposed to before and to eat more healthfully.

Trust me, without these deliveries, it was all chocolate and frozen pizza.

At any rate, I was ecstatic on Thursday to receive my first box of the 2011 season.

All these items look delicious. I can’t wait to dive in!

What pushes you to try new things in the kitchen?

P.S. In case you were wondering, Greenhearts doesn’t compensate me for mentioning them on the blog. I just like ’em and want to give a shout out to a local business!

This entry was posted in food, life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to First CSA of the Year

1. Melie says:

I totally agree with you! I am completely dependent on my csa delivery for ideas. My only problem lately is that my winter deliveries are mainly comprised of green leafy vegetables and I do not seem to be able to cook then before they go bad. Any dead about that?

There is actually a blog post that I’ve been meaning to write up on this very subject. I’ve been trying out some of those “produce bags” that supposedly will make your foods stay fresher longer. This will only be my second CSA delivery using them though, so I wanted to wait and see how this box stands up to the test.

2. Tammy McLeod says:

Great haul from Greenhearts and I love that you shout out for local business.

3. Cindy says:

Man those look yummy… I’d start with the beets and make myself a beet and goat cheese salad. So since you don’t particularly care for beets, you can just send them to me πŸ™‚

4. Average A says:

Mmmm… all of that produce looks SO GOOD! I’m glad you have this to push you and inspire you to try new things! I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

In other news, I’m not sure if I’m going to run the DSE 5k next week (Arts & Sciences — it will be my 4th weekend of racing in a row, and I think I want the break before my half marathon on 2/6); but I’m realllly thinking of going and volunteering! If you’re feeling okay, is this race still on your docket? I know you’ve been down with the sickness for quite some time…

xoxo,
    A

5. I am super jealous. I so wish there was a CSA here meant for two people, not a family of eight who spends $2000/month on food. I am determined to get myself to the farmer’s market Thursday and buy whatever weird-A winter root veg they have, regardless of my ability to identify or cook it.

6. Marie C. says:

Yum. I love veggies. Our farmers market is on Sunday and I always forget to go. I need to set a reminder on my calendar.