You scream, I scream, I’ll run for Mitchell’s Ice Cream!

Yesterday was a very long day. 14.5 hours on the clock kind of sucks, but sometimes, that’s just the way work rolls. I reminded myself that I had an entire three days off coming my way whenever I felt myself start to get whiny. Once I got home I brushed my teeth, threw on my pajamas and got ready for a nice sleep in.

Then I woke up at 6:30am. Fail.

When it became obvious that I wasn’t going back to sleep, I had some breakfast and coffee, figuring I’d eat and then head to the gym. The plan was to drop my stuff off at my gym’s locker room, grab a runner’s stamp and then do the 5K loop down to AT&T Park. It was a good plan, except that I couldn’t get myself to get up off my futon and go. I may’ve not been sleeping, but I also had no interest in moving. By 10:30am, I realized that I couldn’t go run the Embarcadero as planned. I had waited too long to leave. Since the 3rd game of the NLCS would be starting at AT&T at 1pm, fans would already be swarming.

Alexa doesn’t like crowds.

As I rolled around, whingeing at the thought of working out, I started day dreaming about something magical. Mitchell’s Ice Cream. But no. I was supposed to be working out, not pigging out. Just as I was about to return to my procrastination, an idea crossed my brain. A brilliant idea.

Sure, you can have ice cream, Alexa. You just have to run for it.

So I set out on the 2.5 miles to Mitchell’s. I felt pretty good today and the first 2 miles went easy. I seriously haven’t been so strong mentally on a run in several weeks, so this felt great. After about 2 miles though, I started to wear down. I decided to stop in at a corner store for a bottle of water. I downed about half of it and resumed my run. The water made a huge difference and I started to instinctively run faster, and I got my strong feeling back. It made me think that I have not been getting enough water lately. I struggle with water consumption. Not sure why…I like water.

Finally, at the 2.5 mile point, I see it:

Now first, I must tell you. I love Mitchell’s Ice Cream. One thing that really bugs me about San Francisco is how “hipster” it has become. All of my favorite Mom & Pop places are slowly going under because they can’t afford the rent. Then they are replaced by sleek, modern places that have no heart. Mitchell’s, however, has lots of heart. It’s located in the Mission and has been there for over 50 years. Even today, it is still family owned and operated. Their ice cream has won tons of awards and the place gets so busy that you literally have to take a number to get served on a hot day.

Mitchell’s also holds a special place in my heart because it was a place that my family would go together. Though we lived in the Mission, Mitchell’s wasn’t an all of the time thing. It was special. Just a few times a year my family would head in for a sundae or cone. My father would tell me about how he used to come here when he was kid too. He used to only live a few blocks away on Army  (now Caesar Chavez) Street growing up. Mitchell’s is tradition.

A damn tasty tradition.

There are many flavors available at Mitchell’s:

But let’s be serious, there’s only reason why I am there:

Oh. My. God. It’s here!!

I would’ve run a million miles for this ice cream cone. Pumpkin is a seasonal flavor and Mitchell’s pumpkin ice cream is literally my favorite ice cream in the entire world. Some people wait for Mitchell’s egg nog (the holiday drink…though they make the ice cream flavor as well), others wait for the Peppermint Candy. Alexa waits for the pumpkin.

Seriously. When all of you Food Buzz people come to San Francisco, do yourselves a huge favor and check out Mitchell’s. You will not regret it. You will look happy like this:

Except, you know, without the sweat or iphone case blue glare….

Before I leave you, I just want to give a shout out to my San Francisco Giants. I love you guys. Even if watching you play is pure torture. Kick the Phillies’ butts!

Lifelong fan here! Another San Francisco family tradition! Humm Baby!

What food would you run for?

This entry was posted in Exercise, food, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to You scream, I scream, I’ll run for Mitchell’s Ice Cream!

1. Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat says:

Ooh that’s a tough one. I’d probably run for pumpkin pie…or apple pie, depending on the season. In the fall/winter, I get so excited for pumpkin pie–it’s kind of ridiculous. The rest of the time, my go to dessert is definitely a good piece of apple pie. Yum.

Your ice cream sounds amazing. I’ve only had pumpkin ice cream once (it was a flavor I found in the grocery store), and it didn’t live up to my expectations. If I’m ever in San Francisco in the fall, I’ll have to try Mitchell’s out!

Pumpkin Pie is awesome! I had my first piece a couple of weeks ago. When my friend and I went hiking at Sutro Baths, we stopped and had burgers at a little dive overlooking the ocean. Afterwards, we split a piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Amazing!

The ice cream is fab…and go there even if it isn’t fall. They have great flavors. My dad and I tend to always get rocky road– I like that they use real mini marshmallows vs. marshmallow creme. My grandfather always would get orange sherbet. My grandmother a chocolate dipped strawberry cone. My mom likes Black Walnut and the friend I took there for the first time was into Toasted Almond.

Tons of choices, all wonderful.

2. Um! Pumpkin ice cream/frozen yogurt… I can not get enough of. Thank the LAWD that I don’t live closer to TCBY, because I would be bringing all sorts of business to them! I like the idea of running to eat ice cream though… I may need to use that for a motivation technique one of these days! Ha!

It worked so well that I think I may do it more often. I mean, I got the mileage AND I burned off more calories than the ice cream cone was worth. Plus, after I was done eating, I felt great running back home. I thought I was going to feel sick if I tried, but it was instant awesome. Forget GU..distance runners need Mitchell’s stops! 😉

Kenny (step-grandfather) used to always take us for ice cream on the days he picked us up from school WAY back in the day. Depending on which school we were going to at the time, we stopped at either double rainbow, a place that used to be in Glen Park, or Mitchell’s– which was his personal favorite. I always strongly associate Mitchell’s with him for that reason, and have it ingrained in my head that it’s the best ice cream ever made.
    Eric and I couldn’t make it to the real store when were home in fall 2008, but we DID manage to stop in to a confectioner’s in West Portal that stocked Mitchell’s. We had Mexican Hot Chocolate and Pumpkin; of course. I wish the Haagen-Dazs pumpkin out here now was as good. =/

I recently ran for pizza, as well as grapes. Lately I think I would be most likely to run for Doughnut Plant doughnuts, though I’d probably use any excuse I could get my hands on to both get in some running, and some dessert. >_>

I’ve never had Mexican Hot Chocolate ice cream from Mitchell’s. Me wanna try it!

That’s right…there was pizza at the end of your run the other night! I forgot! I would probably run for pizza too…like…if it were really, really good pizza.

I wonder if you would like Dynamo Donuts here in the city. They’re pretty good.

Next time, I may run for Anthony’s Cookies. They are THE cookies, in my book. You must have them when you come back. Seriously.

4. BethT says:

I live dangerously close to Mitchell’s. Grasshopper Pie is my all time favorite, but I recently picked up a half gallon of Oreo Cookie for a party and it is the BEST cookies & cream ever.

I used to live on 17th (between Valencia and Guerrero) and I went to a gym on 29th and Church. Since it’s only about a mile or so away, I would walk to the gym to burn extra calories. I would have to walk directly past Mitchell’s three times a week. Drove me crazy!

I’m glad I learned that running to Mitchell’s is an option though. It will definitely be a good motivator on those hard to get moving days. 😉

I’ve been dying to try the Grasshopper Pie….but Pumpkin won out yesterday. Maybe after the holidays!

5. Sharon says:

I wait all year for pumpkin ice cream, and pumpkin frozen yogurt at Yogurtland. I’m so glad it’s fall. I wish I still drove into the city, I’d love to try Mitchell’s.

You should get someone to drive you in…it’s completely worth it. Or, I don’t know how far you are from a BART station….but it’s on 29th and San Jose, so about 5 or 6 blocks from the 24th Street Mission station.

Man. You’re making me want some again…and I really shouldn’t…I’ve been eating everything in sight!