A Kitchen Contender

I don’t really have much game in the kitchen.

Despite this, I get the occasional interest in trying to be a kitchen contender. You know the kind. They find a recipe online, run into the kitchen and somehow manage to make that recipe happen. If they don’t have all of the ingredients it’s no problem. They’re masters at subbing this for that and it still comes out fabulous.

Who are these people, and how do they get this way?

Anyway, last night I felt inspired to give it the old college try and I attempted to make Angela’s Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins.

I knew right away that they wouldn’t be exactly the same. I didn’t have any apples, for one. The problem that was standing in my way was the oil situation. I had no oil. I had no apple sauce. I had none of the things people use in place of oil. I tried subbing melted butter. I made other subs too. Half wheat Flour, vs. all white. Half brown sugar, vs. all white. I knew things were going south when my muffin batter looked much more akin to dough. I added milk.Β  And yogurt. The less like muffin batter it looked, the more stuff I threw in. I was suffering from major culinary anxiety.

And I masacared this recipe.

I’m sorry, Angela, I tried.

All was not lost, however. They turned out okay. Despite my sincere efforts to turn these muffins into something completely inedible, they persevered and while they are a little more dense than I would like, they taste just fine.

And they smell heavenly.

Fact: I took really pretty pictures at home last night, but forgot my cable at home, so they’re stuck on the camera. iPhone pic, it is…

Tell me about your kitchen blunders.

This entry was posted in food and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to A Kitchen Contender

1. Haha…props to you for the attempt. πŸ™‚ I tend to be the opposite…if I don’t have all the ingredients, I just say screw it and try something else. They actually look very good from the picture. And thanks for sharing the link for the recipe…I will have to try it, but only when I have all the ingredient. πŸ˜›

See, I could’ve waited.

But I had this opened can of pumpkin in my fridge and it needed to be used.

And I wanted it in muffin form.

And it all went downhill from there… >_>

2. April says:

good job on making it work! When I don’t have oil on hand I use shortening instead. I just put it in the microwave and melt it.

πŸ™‚

d00d, how do you run out of OIL?

I had peanut oil and olive oil…but I wasn’t sure how it would taste.

• maya says:

Peanut oil is pretty neutral.. olive oil is not, but there are a lot of recipes out there that call for it. I’ve seen a lot of olive oil almond cake recipes, as well as lemon olive oil. Not sure about pumpkin, but it might have been interesting.

I love experimenting with oils in cooking and baked goods. Currently I have on hand: peanut, walnut, hazelnut, macadamia nut, avocado, virgin coconut, extra virgin olive, and brown rice oil. I usually have ghee as well, but ran out and haven’t gotten around to cooking up a new batch yet. I tend to chose the oil independently from the recipe based on what I want. I’d use coconut a lot more, but it’s not available here, so I have to stretch the jars I bring back. =/

You are like, in a different culinary place than I am. With your oils and your homemade nut butters. I’m still in the beginning cook stages.

For heaven’s sake, I had never made corn before, remember?! πŸ˜‰

I asked for kitchen things for xmas though. So far the list I gave to my sister consisted of : Salad Spinner (so I can stop eating drippy salad) and a fiestaware bake dish of some kind (so I can stop making food in ugly foil tins…)

4. Monet says:

Very noble attempt…and in my opinion, they look pretty darn good. I know I would be able to eat at least one (more likely 5!) I just found your blog tonight, and I’m loving what you are doing here. Thanks for sharing!